A few days into my stay I arrived at the jail to find there had been a fight on the sixth floor - a man had been badly beaten by several of his cellmates. Americans head to polls to choose their president, with nearly 100 million early votes already cast. I recalled that some of the men behind bars had been swaddled in sheets as they stood or had lain covered on their beds - I'd assumed this was because they were camera shy - but in fact, it was explained, this was the better to hide. Writing exclusively for ShortList, broadcaster and journalist Louis Theroux describes his four weeks filming within Miami’s notorious county jail system. When our crew filed out of the cell, I was the last to leave, and was startled when a young inmate grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back inside. The two-part documentary, Louis Theroux: Miami Mega Jail starts on BBC Two at 21.00 BST on Sunday 22 May 2011 with part two on Sunday 29 May 2011. He proceeded to explain, on camera, in some detail, how he would set about victimising a fellow-inmate. And when there is no officer on the walk, the inmates are, to all intents and purposes, in charge. .css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link{color:inherit;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{color:#696969;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:focus,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:focus{color:#B80000;-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link::after,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited::after{content:'';position:absolute;top:0;right:0;bottom:0;left:0;z-index:2;}Trump or Biden? © 2020 BBC. Facing murder charges and prosecutors keen to give them life or even a death sentence, they figure that their odds of a better outcome at trial will improve the longer they wait, as witnesses die or disappear and memories fade. Please turn on JavaScript. Some inmates had been inside for five years or more, still technically innocent, putting up with the most brutal conditions, for a chance of a better sentence. The prison authorities do not usually allow this but we managed to get special permission and I ended up making several forays into the men's quarters. With around 7,000 inmates, the Miami jail system is one of the largest in the US. Horrible as it is, perhaps the biggest surprise in the main jail is that many of the inmates with the most serious charges choose to extend their stay as long as possible. Prosecutors wanted to give him the death penalty. Video, Rescuers rush to save beached pilot whales, Bushfire koalas going back to the wild. Up to 24 inmates are crowded into a single cell, living behind metal bars on steel bunks, sharing a single shower and two toilets. VideoWhat does developing a Covid-19 vaccine look like? Read more. We found Miami the most receptive. Inmates throughout the jail speak with a sense of awe about the main jail, for it is here that the code of the jail is most stringently observed. VideoBushfire koalas going back to the wild, Three elders reveal what it takes to be a leader. .css-14iz86j-BoldText{font-weight:bold;}Imagine a jail where dangerous inmates awaiting trial live 24 to a room and fight each other under a violent gladiatorial code. They proposed various changes, including a policy of assigning bunks, so inmates would no longer fight for a place to sleep. Behind the bars of a mega-jail With Louis Theroux By Holly Pyne. One of the corporals said he thought the county might be happy to make reforms as long as I was happy to stump up the $600m for a new building. It seemed to be a way for the inmates to police themselves, without getting officers involved, an extension of the ghetto code of not trusting conventional authority. Towards the end of my first visit, the time came for me to enter a cell myself. Inmates tended not to stay long enough to get comfortable or bond with officers or with each other. I visited the cell and was told by several inmates that the victim had been testifying on other people's cases.

Karen Leblanc Birthday, Doom 64 Rom, Wiltshire Police Dog Rehoming, Michael Herd Restaurant, Richest Snsd Member, Nina Sparano Bio, Jessi Cruickshank Twins Names, Patch Champions League Pes 2020, Tawanna Turner Parents, Mercedes Clk Gtr Replica, Cats Eating Ants Licking, Bienvenido Mr Marshall English Script, Clara Schumann: Piano Sonata In G Minor Analysis, Astroneer Dedicated Server Files, Test Propionate And Tren Acetate Cycle, Manu Militari Vrai Nom, Chinchillas For Sale Yorkshire, Can Old Wine Make You Sick, Jeannie Leavitt Quotes, Probability Tree Calculator, Marshall Lancaster Plastering, Roy Gori House, Non Aligned Crossword Clue, Destroy Earth Game, Neymar Beard Transplant, Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League Forum, Credit 9 Reviews, Shameless Season 2 Cast, Type 982 Radar, Roger Black Yucko Wife, Bubble Island 1, Instacart Promo Code Coronavirus, Yodha Jabardasth Wikipedia, Expedition Unknown Biggest Find, Loch Nan Uamh Pronunciation, How Many Times Has Atticus Whipped Jem?, Antonin Scalia Children, What Is A Lululemon Seasonal Store, Theme Of Gusev, Yasiel Puig Wife Instagram, Lori Greiner Maiden Name, When Does Jess Come Back In Season 6, Where Is Aymeric After Msq, Middle Names For Casey (boy), Hemtt For Sale, Downey Patriot Obituaries, Mediacom Convergent Care, Helena Luke Age, Dunelm Bryony Chandelier, Autozone Engines Remanufactured, Wonder Winder Harbor Freight, チカーノ Hiro と は, Scott Boras Wife, Chess Bot Hack, Prize Games Registration, Hedgehog Names Generator, Maria Cuomo Cole Age, Warning Letter To Tenant For Noise, Casssa Swimming 2019, Ark Parasaur Egg, Brampton Stabbing Today, Mahjong Soul Guide, Minecraft Longer Days Mod, How Did The Enlightenment Influence The Haitian Revolution Essay,

MasiotaMasiota