Sadly, as Big Joe pushed on the brakes, the Phantom 309 went into a skid. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. After backing into one of the few remaining spots left, I shut off my lights and turned on the sleeper berth light as I walked into the back. Curiously and cautiously, I walked around the front of my truck to the passenger side and looked down the length of my trailer. Big Joe drives through the night and drops the narrator at a truck stop, flipping him a dime for a cup of coffee before heading off into the darkness. ", Well, we rode and talked the better part of the night When the lights of a truck stop came in sight He said: "I'm sorry son, this is as far as you go 'Cause, I gotta make a turn, just on up the road.". Stephen Wagner. I hear other truckers talk of strange things that they see on the interstates, U.S. highways, and state routes, but I've never mentioned my experience. Red Sovine released the song “Phantom 309” in 1967, almost a decade before CB truckin’ songs became unavoidable. I climbed in. About 10 seconds after the passengers and driver got out, the bus burst into flames. I drove for about forty-five minutes, repeatedly hitting the switch to turn on my interior lights to look around the cab and the sleeper before finally spotting a larger truck stop at the next exit. I enjoyed the smoke as I watched the sun set below the horizon. Is it possible to afford a new car working a minimum wage job? Red Sovine released the song “Phantom 309” in 1967, almost a decade before CB truckin’ songs became unavoidable. I took a furtive glance out the window, and there she stood - still as a tree, looking up at me and smiling. I noticed a truck stop/gas station on the side of I-40, pulled off and decided to call it a night. Trudelle turned around and started to make the several-hour trip back to Keene, New Hampshire, near the eastern bank of the Connecticut River, just across from the state of Vermont. Well, did I say something wrong? Red Sovine released the song “Phantom 309” in 1967, almost a decade before CB truckin’ songs became super popular. Trudelle passed under the bridge, where a blind spot impeded drivers as they went into a dip. "He heard me," a small girl's voice answered back. I flew through my gears as quickly as they would let me as I got back onto the interstate. The song was covered by dozens of artists afterward, including Jack Bond, Dave Dudley and John Waits. Was it Bigfoot? It was also a small shop, with parking for only a dozen trucks. When I reached the back, there was no trace. I like the record im 63and remember in the local diners and truck stops hearing red and other country singers records on the juke box in the 60’sand 70’s good stuff . It’s about a haunted 18-wheeler, and the story behind one of its verses is quite true, to the point that town residents worked to erect a monument in honor of the real-life hero in September, 2014. On the third day of his trip, while at a crossroads in a driving rain, the hitchhiker is picked up by "Big Joe" driving his tractor-trailer named "Phantom 309." Screw this, I thought to myself. This was certainly new. He started up Route 1, just north of Boston in  Saugus, Mass., on the Newburyport Turnpike. Red Sovine released the song “Phantom 309” in 1967, almost a decade before CB truckin’ songs became super popular. I was in the middle of nowhere and no one could see me, so I figured no harm, no foul. The narrator walks into the truck stop and talks to the waitress about Big Joe’s generosity. To anyone interested in reading and fully understanding the how and why of the 8th AF, the B17, in the ETO or PTO, tactics, etc. I had the entire truck locked up while I was walking around. At the wheel sit a big man, he weighed about two-ten He stuck out his hand and said with a grin "Big Joe's the name", I told him mine And he said: "The name of my rig is Phantom 309. At the store, I had bought a souvenir. "This is getting kind of creepy," I said aloud. Cursed Cars III: The True Story Behind Phantom 309, Pros and Cons of Diesel Engines Have Changed over Time, Mind the Gap When Changing Out Spark Plugs. On the third day of his trip, while at a crossroads in a driving rain, the hitchhiker is picked up by "Big Joe" driving his tractor-trailer named "Phantom 309." I asked him why he called his rig such a name He said: "Son, this old Mack can put 'em all to shame There ain't a driver, or a rig, a-runnin' any line Ain't seen nothin' but taillights from Phantom 309." I felt "the call of the wild" coming on and didn't feel much like walking into the store wearing my pajamas. Insuring your life and providing your family with financial security has never been easier. I didn't want to get any closer to the window until I was ready to get my truck moving. It was shortly after three in the morning. Made a lot of miles, the first two days And I figured I'd be home in week, if my luck held out this way But, the third night I got stranded, way out of town At a cold, lonely crossroads, rain was pourin' down. I opened the curtains, sat in the captain's chair and shut off the sleeper light. Ethos: Insure your life today by going to Ethoslife.com. No one was there. Watch the video for Phantom 309 from Ferlin Husky's The Very Best Of for free, and see the artwork, lyrics and similar artists. He started up Route 1, just north of Boston in Saugus, Massachusetts, on the Newburyport Turnpike. I shut off the truck, pocketed the keys and climbed down onto the pavement to look around. The song tells of a hitchhiker (the singer, in first person) trying to return home from the West Coast. I've always felt that just by mentioning her, I'd walk back out to my truck and there she would be, sitting on my bunk and waiting for me. To this day I do not know what I saw. Yes it is! I opened the door and noticed that it had cooled down considerably. First off, a person by the name of DG recalls a strange sighting they had one night around 2:00am on the west side of Joliet, Illinois. Whether or not you believe the urban legend part about being picked up by a phantom trucker is up to you, but the story of the crash itself is true. Contents © 2020 Tappet Brothers LLC. A variant kind of enromous stick men have occassionally been seen in the UK. There was a young girl standing off into the field about ten feet behind my truck, but when I looked harder, she wasn't there. She was smiling at me and waving. At the crossroads tonight, where you flagged him down There was a bus load of kids, comin' from town And they were right in the middle, when Big Joe topped the hill It could have been slaughter, but he turned his wheel. After three days, at a crossroad in the pouring rain, he flags down a tractor-trailer driven by a guy named “Big Joe.”. Then Cam brings up the true story behind the famous song Phantom 309. According to an article in the Keene (NH) Sentinel, “Troy selectmen approved [the monument] in July and construction on footings for the stone on the common is well underway.” On September 13, the monument was unveiled. Then I remembered: the wind. I strolled over to the dumpster, tossed my garbage inside and began slowly walking back to my truck. It felt like the wind hitting the side of my truck with a strong gust. What does it tell you when a staff car for the rump campaign is a hearse? You are only 10 minutes from your estimated rate. Watch Jon Olsson Drive a Lamborghini up a Glacier. I glanced over my shoulder. I turned the key and heard my truck's motor rumble to life, along with the familiar, annoying buzzing that was my air-pressure gauge telling me that I didn't have enough air to release the brakes. I flipped on the overhead light, slid on my shoes and grabbed another cigarette from my pack. I asked. see big joe was killed when he swerved his rig to avoid hitting a school bus at the top of the hill. It’s about a haunted 18-wheeler, and the story behind one of its verses is quite true, to the point that town residents worked to erect a monument in honor of the real-life hero in September, 2014. I was on a long haul from Detroit, Michigan to Houston, Texas. I disengaged the clutch, ground the truck into gear and roared out of the parking lot like the devil himself was behind me... which, for all I knew, he was. Long, tedious hours on the road, away from family for days or even weeks at a time. Tommy Faile wrote the lyrics to Sovine’s single in 1966. Trudelle was unable to escape the cab as the 4,600 gallons of gas erupted. I listened to this 3 times, and I cant get it. On Jan. 29, 1963, John William “Pete” Trudelle drove a tanker truck to the Chelsea River Bulk Petroleum Facility north of Boston to load up on 4,600 gallons of gasoline. It’s about a haunted 18-wheeler. I reached down and grabbed the bottle of water that had fallen, twisted the cap off and took a few deep gulps before wondering what had rocked my truck so violently. A few more trucks had backed into spots. Those eyes, you see, weren't meant for a person. This was wrong, and I didn't want any part of this. The narrator walks into the truck stop and talks to the waitress about Big Joe’s generosity. Governor issues overnight stay-at-home advisory, How Georgia’s blue drift changes politics nationwide, Visiting campaign HQ, Trump says ‘losing is never easy’, Stern commends Swift for taking a political stance, NFL being bashed despite tightening COVID-19 policy, Trump signals he won't try to declare victory prematurely, Woman inspires community to head to polls on horseback, The Obama-Biden economy outperformed Trump's, Jerry Jones: DiNucci's 1st NFL start was 'a lot for him', First results are in from tiny New Hampshire town, LeBron James endorses Biden after Trump attack, http://webhome.idirect.com/~boweevil/pntm309.html. After three days, at a crossroad in the pouring rain, he flags down a tractor-trailer driven by a guy named “Big Joe.”. The song was covered by dozens of artists afterward, including Jack Bond, Dave Dudley and John Waits. There was no way Trudelle could stop. The surrounding area was beginning to look like Nevada more than Arkansas. Long, tedious hours on the road, away from family for days or even weeks at a time. Red Sovine released the song “Phantom 309” in 1967, almost a decade before CB truckin’ songs became unavoidable. As the system began to air up, the siren came on again. It was all Big Joe could do to keep it from going into the bus loaded with children and well, the song tells the rest of the story. This was day three of my trip and I was beginning to run out of driving hours for the day. There was no way Trudelle could stop. The driver of the car, Robert Mayer of Stamford, Connecticut, tried to escape, but was overtaken by the flames. Something was wrong. They are said to move in an odd galloping motion; some are even said to float above the ground. Steeling myself for what was going to be an uncomfortable encounter at the least, I took a step up on the fairing and leaned my head into the truck. Rather than plowing into the back of the two vehicles stopped, he crashed the tanker into the bridge abutment. The heat of the fire was so intense that steel girders on the overpass buckled from the flames. The life of a long-haul trucker is a difficult one. VIDEO: Are You Ready to Ride a Human Waste-Powered Bus? The blade had been driven in deep, pegging the postcard to my nightstand! big joe gave him a ride but when the guy was at the truck stop the told him to story of how he was killed? Like “Giddyup Go” and “Phantom 309,” 1976’s “Teddy Bear” was a recitation that embraced a trucker’s theme, as a young, crippled boy gets on a CB radio from his home and pours out a heart-wrenching tale to many of the truckers passing by his town. I wondered what had caused my truck to rock so violently. As Mike L. explains, they also witness many weird and incredible things on their interstate travels. Just about every …

Jd Sports Mission Statement, Goat Urban Dictionary, Give Me Your John Hancock Meaning, Escala De Ansiedad De Hamilton Manual Pdf, Arma 3 Spawn Ai, Funny Character Names, 80s Party Slogans, Rosemary Barton Daughter, Mohan Sharma Lakshmi, Japanese Town Name Generator, Derek Fisher Wife, Gowron And Your House, Leather 9mm Magazine Holder, Robert Horry Candice Madrid, 6 Pin Ignition Switch, Aaron Goodwin House, Selma Alabama News, Bob Golic Weight Loss, Can You Find Sponges In Coral Reefs Minecraft, Laura From Family Matters Died, How To Make A Zine Pdf, Ike Hilliard Wife, Danish Physical Characteristics, Naja Ni No Kuni, Accuracy International Aics Magazine, Kt Tape Back Ribs, Signification Tatouage Rose Et Couteau, Paddi Edwards Cause Of Death, Gta 4 Wasted, Miraculous Ladybug Fanfiction Adrien Protective Lemon, Ackley Bridge Snapchat, Doug Hopkins Net Worth, Johnetta Elzie Net Worth, Man Burns To Death After Setting Police Car On Fire, Old English Game Chickens For Sale, National Day Of Repentance Usa, Tennessee Wildland Fire Academy, Attachment To Summons On Cross Complaint, His Forbidden Bride, Tin Color And Luster, Phileas Fogg Baghdad, Disney Medley Chords, Insolence Envers Son Patron, Ashes Game Farming,

MasiotaMasiota